Tom Kha Kai or Thai chicken coconut soup is a spicy and sour hot soup with coconut milk. This dish is getting more and more popular among Farang(Western). As it is not very spicy as most of other Thai curry. But you could still have a taste of chilies and herbs with beautiful light creamy coconut milk.
Thai people consider Tom Kha Kai as a soup , not spicy at all. So it is popular in general. Even a seven year’s old kid could have it. But to make perfect Tom Kha Kai you need to know some secret. And we have it here for you!
Ingredients for 8 people.
- 500g chicken breast fillet, rectangle sliced
- 4 fresh red chilies 2 Dried chilies(for decoration)
- 6 straw mushroom
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 20 sliced young galangal
- 1 lemon grass
- 1 coriander (for decoration)
- 3 small tomatoes or 2 big tomatoes
- 2tbs fish sauce
- 1.5tbs brown sugar
- 3tbs lime juice
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1.5cups light coconut milk + 0.5cup dense coconut milk + 0.5cup water
- 1cup dense coconut milk
- Clean all veggies and meat by washing.
- Pick only young galangal , slice it as a thin piece for 20 pieces. Then smash and slice lemon grass into long piece.
- Take the middle line of kaffir lime leaves out.
- Cut mushrooms into a quarter , Samsh all chilies ,and cut coriander roughly.
- Cut chicken into rectangle sliced for a mouth piece.
- Add 1.5cups light coconut milk + 0.5cup dense coconut milk + 0.5cup water into a pot , warm it over a medium high heat until it boil.
- Add sliced galangal , lemongrass , and kaffir lime leaves into the pot. Wait about 7 minutes.
- Add sliced chicken meat and wait until it boil. Then add 1 teaspoon of salt and mix it.
- Add dense coconut milk , tomatoes , and mushroom wait until it boil.
- Add smash chilies and wait about 1 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Put brown sugar , lemon juice , and soya sauce in. Add more or less depend on your preference.
- Add coriander for decoration.
- You could eat galangal in a good Tom Kha Kai. So if you want it to be perfect , use only young galangal.
- Coconut milk is a very important factor of a perfect Tom Kha Kai. In Thailand , we normally buy coconut milk in a fresh market which they provide a different coconut milk differently with a can or a box of coconut milk in supermarket. If you buy use a box or can of coconut milk. You have to adapt the recipe depend on how dense your coconut milk is. Normally you have to add more water to make it less creamy.
- Serve with: Steamed jasmine rice.
If you are interesting to join us. Please read :
Fact : This dish is similar to Tom yum that it does not have any oil of the ingredient. But we use a lot of coconut milk. The big different between Thai dishes and Western dishes is that Thai dish has not got cream in recipe. But we use coconut milk instead. If you love cream for a recipe of one dish. This must be a very nice selection for you. And coconut milk has less calories than cream.