I love massaman curry as it is considering as a very mild Thai curry. I ate it when I was very young. So I could taste some spice by being a Thai kid. When I grew up I found the fact that Massaman curry is very interesting.
According to the fact that Massaman or matsaman is not a native Thai word. It is generally thought to refer to the Muslims with earlier writers from the mid-19th century calling the dish “Mussulman curry” The dish originated in 17th century Central Thailand at the cosmopolitan court of Ayutthaya, through the Persian merchant Sheik Ahmad Qomi from whom the Thai noble family of Bunnag descends. Other theories contend that massaman is a southern Thai dish, influenced by Malay and Indian cuisine. Then Thai people adapt it into Thai culinary.
It is not just a nice delicious menu. But it is full of a long history and make me wonder how amazing of Thai culinary is. I would do Massaman curry in only special event as if you want to make it perfectly. You have to take about an hour to make it. But even you have no time or all ingredients to make it perfectly. It is still worth to try as Massaman was voted to be #1 of the world’s 50 most delicious foods by CNNGo.com on 21 July 2011.
“Officially announced on CNNGo.com on 21 July 2011, the world’s 50 most delicious foods, Massaman Curry topped the poll while the all-time favorite Tom Yam Goong hit #8. Another two dishes, Namtok Moo and Som Tam, are also on the list at 19th and 48th. deserved to be the king of all Thai curry!”
Ingredients for 8 serves.
- 1.5 kilo chicken breast/thigh
- 250 g. massaman curry paste
- 6 medium size potatoes
- 4 onions
- half cup peanut
- quarter cup fish sauce
- 2/3 cup palm sugar
- quarter cup tamarind extract
- two cup dense coconut milk
- 800 ml. light coconut milk
- 14 fried cardamom
- 10 Anise or no
- 6 cinnamon or no
- 1teaspoon salt
- Clean chicken meat.
- Clean potatoes , peel and cut half or quarter for a mouth piece.
- Turn on the heat on a low level. Add dense coconut milk and curry paste. Heat it until fat float up during boiling.
- Add chicken meat , wait until it boil.
- Add light coconut milk. Wait until it boil.
- Add all the rest recipe and seasoning except potatoes and onions. Turn the heat to low level and wait about 30 minutes.
- Add onion and potatoes. Wait until potatoes are cooked(about 20 minutes).
- Turn the heat off and wait about five minutes before serving.
Note : Serve with boil rice or Roti.