Bibimbab (Korean Mixed Rice with Meat and Assorted Vegetables)
One of the most popular dishes in Korean cuisine, the word literally means “mixed rice”. Bibimbap is a nutritious rice dish of steamed rice and pre-cooked vegetables (usually spinach, bean sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, egg and lettuce. It can also contain ground beef but can be ordered without meat.
Ingredients for 2 serving
Ground beef 30g, 1/3 Zucchini,2 Handful Bean Sprout, 1 handful Spinach, 2 Egg, 1 sheet seasoned seaweed, 2 Bowls of steamed rice, 1 Tbs Korean red pepper paste, 1 Tbs water, sugar, salt, sesame oil, pepper
* Seasoning for beef: 1 tbs Soy sauce, 1/4 tbs Chopped Green onion, 1/4 tbs minced garlic, 1/2 tbs Sugar, a pitch of pepper, 1 tbs Sesame oil
- Slice 2/3 of beef to put on the rice with vegetables later.
- Mince the rest of beef to use it for seasoned red pepper paste sauce.
Sauce for beef
- Mix well all the sauce ingredients.
- Add the sauce onto the sliced beef and minced beef. Mix each of them well.
- Slice the zucchini into strips.
- Add a pitch of salt on to the sliced zucchini and mix well together.
- Separate the whites and yolks of 2 eggs.
- Add 1½ pinches of salt to the egg whites and repeat for the yolks. Mix them
- Rinse the mung bean sprouts in cold water and discard the bad beans if any.
- Boil the water in a pot and add the 1 tsp of salt. Once the water starts to boil, plunge the bean sprouts into the pot and leave it for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the water and run cold water on the sprouts for 1-2 minutes.
- Squeeze the bean sprout to remove excess water.
- Add 1 tbs of sesame oil and a pitch of salt onto the cooked bean sprout. Mix them well.
- Trim the spinach roots and wash the spinach in cold water thoroughly.
- Boil the water in a pot and add the 1 tsp of salt. Once the water starts to boil, plunge the spinach into the pot and leave it for 30 seconds.
- Drain the boiled water away and run cold water on the spinach for 1-2 minutes.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove excess water.
- Add 1 tbs of sesame oil and a pitch of salt onto the cooked spinach. Mix them well.
- Wipe an 8-inch heated nonstick pan with a oiled paper towel. You want very small amount of oil in your pan. Keep the temperature on medium-low.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the pan. Cook in on medium-low. Flip the egg yolks and cook for another minute.
- Follow the same process for the egg whites.
- Let them cool before cutting.
- Cut them thinly.
- Stir the prepared zucchini on the pan quickly.
- Let them cool.
- Stir the sliced beef with middle level heat.
Seasoned red pepper paste sauce
- Stir the minced beef on the pan with low level heat.
- Add the 1 Tbs of Korean red pepper paste into the stirred minced beef. Stir together with middle level heat.
- Add the 1Tbs of water. Mix well together.
- Add a pitch of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame oil.
Put the rice into a bowl and add the meat, assorted vegetables, sliced egg garnish, sliced seaweed, and the seasoned Red pepper paste sauce on top of the rice.